Basic Guide to Government and Politics In The United States : Pt. 1

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wendy Carter, Reporter

Politics can be confusing from time to time, especially for a kid in high school hearing all those weird words on the news station. For this dire problem, I’m here to help. In this article you will find some of the lingo and phrases to get you through a class of basic government and politics.

This installment of politics will be concerning the stock market:

Broker-Dealer: A person that buys, sells, and trades stocks for a person. Common companies that do this are Charles Schwab, Fidelity, TD Ameritrade, Scottrade, E-trade.

Dow : The Dow is a group of 20 major stocks. When their averages increase, the Dow goes up, but when any of the given stocks decrease, that stock is dropped by the Dow and immediately replaced with a better one.

G.O.P.( as relating to business): G.O.P. stands for the Gross Operating Profit. It is a company’s profit from selling goods or services in a particular period before taxes or interest payments are subtracted. However, this doesn’t reflect the reason that people are buying. A person could be buying a car for themselves because their last car needed to be replaced or they could have been flooded and are having to pay for water damage. Both scenarios raise the G.O.P but both aren’t positive reasons.

NYSE: This acronym represents the New York Stock Exchange. Time of operations for NYSE are 4:00 – 6:30pm  Eastern Time Zone (EST).

Bear market: A downward market trend that becomes self sustained as this causes prices to drop and encourages selling.