Love Simon Comes Out An LGBTQ+ Success. WARNING: Spoilers Ahead!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Abbey Karlik, Writer

Originally based on the young adult novel, Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli, Love Simon is the Hollywood’s first teen romantic comedy to have an LGBTQ+ lead story line. The movie opens up with Simon Spier, a regular, 17 year old high school student reaching out to an anonymous student named Blue, a teen who’s sexual orientation has just exposed on the school’s social media platform, to relate and show support because Simon shares the same secret. Soon, Simon himself is blackmailed into the same fate, but through love and support from his own friends and family, Simon is able to make it through the intimidating and rocky journey of coming out, the same journey that real teens face all over the world today.

Through its hilarious dialogue and emotional plot, Love Simon has created a foundation of love and support from readers, movie goers and people from all over, as well as conversation and the important message of awareness, acceptance, and support. Not only is the message reaching frequent social media users and teens across the country, but it’s also touching the hearts of celebrities– like Kristen Bell, Neil Patrick Harris, and Jesse Tyler Ferguson– who are buying out theaters in their hometowns. Simon has inspired millions of teens to come out online, to their friends and to their families, as well as spread its incredible message. Dialogue is happening, people! Thanks to this new representation, support is accumulating faster than it ever has before for the LGBTQ+ community. This movie is the Breakfast Club this generation needs. Come out to see it in theaters near you today! Who says straight is the default?

Photo Credit: https://www.foxmovies.com/movies/love-simon