The Voice of JE

Reflections on Student Council (2017-2018)

With the school year wrapping up, we thought it appropriate to appraise everyone with a quick gloss over of Student Council, with some help from people currently in Student Council! This is an extremely important organization within the school that allows students to use their Voices, so listen up!

Student Council is, quite literally, a council made up of students. This grants students a say in what goes on in the school, and allows them to fund-raise such that the Council may host events of its own. It does, however, have a government aspect – students elect a President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary to perform certain duties that all students can’t perform. It is also advised by a teacher as all other clubs do. The roles of the four different jobs are as follows: President conducts the meetings, oversees the inner-workings of the Council, and represents the student body at the school board meetings. Vice President does relatively the same things – at a lesser degree – but is mainly there in case the President cannot be. Treasurer oversees the financial aspect of the council, covering the expenses and gains of an event, and how much money the council has and will donate to charity (when those kinds of events happen). The Secretary records what happens at meetings, such that when the Council Officers meet privately they do not forget any comment or suggestion the student body makes!

On top of that general glaze, I was able to interview the current Student Council President and Vice President. Overall, they had good things to say! In case you didn’t know, Hunter Simmons is the President and Tessa Green is the Vice President (NOTE: This was written May 10th, 2018). Simmons was always involved with student government, and the high-school Student Council was no different.

Due to his history, he “wanted to be in the top position,” and “thought that [he’d] be best for the job.” Green had known Simmons for a long time, and “knew that [they’d] work well together.”

On top of that, Green said: “I like to be in charge.”

As for the election itself, both Simmons and Green had no doubts. Both were “extremely confident” and “not nervous at all.”

When questioned on the work load (arguably the most curious part), both agreed it wasn’t a heavy workload. “It’s less work, and more responsibility,” said Green.

Simmons said this about Student Council overall: “It’s nice that I have a chance to do something.”

Green said: “It feels like I’m more important, and that I know more about what goes on in the school.” (NOTE: Do not belittle people that aren’t involved in Student Council, that is not the message she was trying to send.) Being the voice for the entire student body, I asked Simmons about how he feels being in that high of a position.

He responded: “It’s nice because if someone wants something done I can bring that up [to the school board].”

And for all Student Council Officer prospects, our President and Vice President had this advice to you: “Do it,” – Tessa Green, 2018.

In all seriousness, they did discuss what it would take; this is what they came up with: “Do it if you can handle things well, are proactive, want to make a change, care about the school,” and finally, the one they emphasized the most, “Do it if you can deal with apathy. It’s very difficult to work with apathy, and you have to stay motivated through it.”

I hope this was able to shed some light on Student Council, especially for Student Council Officers prospects. It is extremely important to get involved in Student Council, even if you do not want to be an Officer. Come to meetings! Share your opinions! Just showing up and voting greatly helps.

1 Comment

One Response to “Reflections on Student Council (2017-2018)”

1. Prince on October 7th, 2018 2:04 pm

According the right it to be honest and poor whatever you are in your surroundings they can give a real happiness contrary at persons who try to make you everyday sad .that’s my opinion thanks

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Reflections on Student Council (2017-2018)

Archive

Jordan-Elbridge Takes Lead Role in Theater Award Nominations

Classroom News

The Varsity Softball Team

Classroom News

The Color of Words

Classroom News

New Website Banner Needed!

Classroom/Clubs/Creativity

JE Class of 2018 Top 10 Announced and an Acceptance to Harvard!

Classroom News

Jordan-Elbridge Basketball Ends 2017-2018 with a Historic Season

Classroom News

Jordan-Elbridge track Star Ethan Kinney Three-Peats At Sectional Championships

Classroom/Clubs/Creativity

New Books For The Library

Classroom/Clubs/Creativity

JE Science Olympiad Takes Home Medals!

Classroom/Clubs/Creativity

Pick a Book and We’ll Buy it!

The student news site of Jordan-Elbridge High School